Tuesday 15 August 2017

Review: Seeing Red by Sandra Brown

Seeing Red by Sandra Brown
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication date: August 15th 2017
My rating: 5 Stars
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | TBD | Kobo | iBooks

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25644437-find-her

He had nothing left to lose...except his life.

Kerra Bailey is a television journalist hot on the trail of a story guaranteed to skyrocket her career to even greater heights: an interview with the legendary Major Trapper. Twenty-five years ago, the Major was photographed leading a handful of survivors out of the collapsing Pegasus hotel shortly after it was bombed. The iconic picture transformed him into a beloved national icon—until he suddenly dropped out of the public eye, shunning all members of the media. And now Kerra is willing to use any means necessary to get to the Major—even if she has to wrangle an introduction from his estranged son, former ATF agent John Trapper.
Still seething over his break with both the ATF and his father, John Trapper wants no association with the hotel bombing or his hero father. Yet Kerra’s sheer audacity and tantalizing hints that there’s more to the story rouses Trapper’s interest. And when the interview of a lifetime goes catastrophically awry, Kerra and Trapper join forces and risk their very lives to expose the truth.


My Thoughts:
Sandra Brown is one of my all-time favorite mystery/romantic suspense writers so I was thrilled to get my hands on a copy of Seeing Red!  She starts off with a bang with the first page, as usual, and I was hooked from beginning to finish!

Kerra Bailey contacts John Trapper when all her efforts to get in touch with his father fail.  His father, The Major, is a hero, launched into the public eye back in 1992 when he led survivors out of The Pegasus Hotel bombing, an event that claimed 197 lives.  For John Trapper this event signaled the end of his quiet, happy life when his father enthusiastically latched onto the celebrity his actions incurred.

As an adult, Trapper took up an investigation of the bombing when his examination of the facts led to serious doubts that the case was solved.  This obsession eventually cost him his job at the ATF, so when Kerra shows up at his door asking for assistance he has no desire to help her. 

Kerra has her own reasons for wanting an interview with The Major, more personal than professional.  She’s determined to get the interview with or without Trapper assistance, but she can’t deny the pull she has to Trapper.  In the middle of the storm that follows Kerra’s meeting with The Major, Trapper and Kerra try and manage the sexual tension between them, all the while trying to get to the bottom of things, staying alive in the process. 

Sandra Brown is famous for here addictive writing.  Her cliffhanger type chapters are a sure hook for someone like me. I just wanted to keep reading and find out how it all ended!  Of course, she throws in twists, and turns.  I suspected a few and was surprised by several. I love it when an author can keep me guessing!

The romance between Kerra and John was half of the attraction; deliciously antagonistic, and utterly sexy!  I love Sandra Brown’s heroes! Trapper has a flash temper, a rude mouth, rugged and rough around the edges.  Just the kind of antihero this reader loves!  Kerra was principled, smart and determined; the perfect partner for Trapper to get to the bottom of these sinister plots.

Seeing Red is Sandra Brown at her finest and I can hardly wait until she writes her next book!



Connect with Sandra Brown:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads 

21 comments:

Nick said...

You've sold me on this one, Rachel. It sounds so amazing, and I love that every chapter ends with a cliffhanger of sorts that has you wanting to read the next chapter ASAP. It sounds right up my alley. The romance sounds so swoony too. Antagonistic romances are a favorite of mine.
Wonderful review, Rachel! I'm off to buy a copy! :)

Blodeuedd said...

I read her like ages ago, I did enjoy them then

Test said...

I've never heard of this author before, but this one sounds fantastic! Addictive writing is always what I look for in a good romantic suspense novel so the fact that there's cliffhanger chapters basically sells me on this. The romance between the characters also sounds steamy! Great review, Rachel! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I haven't read Brown before, but I know I should! I'm glad to hear there were several mysteries that surprised you. That's always fun!

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Brandie said...

Great review, Rachel!! I'm so happy to see you loved this book, too! Sandra Brown is the queen!!

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I LOVE when a book grabs you right from the very beginning! This is a new one to me but I'm definitely intrigued!

Rachel said...

Yay! I hope you love it, Nick! :)

Rachel said...

She's been around for a long time, but still cranks out winners. :)

Rachel said...

Thank you, Lauren! She's been writing for years but I just recently discovered her in the last couple of years. I've gone through a fair amount of her backlist but she's so prolific it'd take me a while to get through all her books. I'm happy to take up the challenge. :)

Rachel said...

Thank you, Lauren! I've read mysteries for years so it takes some talent to keep me guessing. :)

Rachel said...

Thank you, Brandie! For sure! I'm thrilled she still has books out there I haven't read, that way I'm not depressed when I finish her newest release! :)

Rachel said...

I know, right? That takes some talent and more to keep you hooked.:)

Kindlemom said...

This is definitely an author I've been meaning to try. I think this fall (when I love these type of reads most) I will make time for her. Wonderful review!

Greg said...

I love it when stories start off like that! And good twists are the best, especially when you don't see 'em coming. Glad this was a great read! sounds fun. :)

Carina Olsen said...

Awesome review Rachel :D Yay for enjoying this book so much. <3 I love reading books that have lots of surprising twists :) It's always fun. And yay for good romance :D

Ksenia said...

Can’t wait to listen to the audiobook! This sounds great. And I love her heroes too, they are just so manly. Wonderful review!

Rachel said...

Thanks, Ksenia! I hope you love the audio book! :)

Chris said...

I just finished reading Seeing Red. For me, it was quite a page-turner, but I'm curious to know whom you think put Thomas Wilcox's cell phone in that hidden spot in Trapper's office & what tipped Trapper off that it might be hidden there? I'd love to know what other readers think. Thanks!

Rachel said...

Hi Chris, glad to hear you were as hooked as I was! I was under the impression that Thomas Wilcox or one of his lackeys stored it in behind the studs per his instructions. It was part of Thomas' "contingency" plan.

Chris said...

Thanks, Rachel. And if Wilcox's men did this, I suppose that they were low enough on the food chain to not be concerned that their names would also be on Wilcox's list? Do you think that Carson was the second undercover agent whose identity Jenks was not at liberty to reveal?

Rachel said...

I got the impression they because they just were paid employees they wouldn't be included on his list. I didn't think Carson was anything but Trapper's friend but who knows? :)

Have you read any of Sandra Brown's work? My all-time favorite is Mean Streak but Smoke Screen is a close second.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...