Sunday 5 March 2017

The Readers Den Weekly Wrap Up #5

Hi everyone, with Rachel and I's crazy work schedules, we miss sharing whats going on with us. We used to have a lot of fun with our Showcase Sunday posts, so thought we'd do something regular on the blog, where we share bookish news and life news in general as a weekly recap!

WHAT I READ/REVIEWED


Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link).


The Player definitely took me by surprise, I think maybe because I went into it with no expectations at all and that really was a refreshing change!

Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)



Pretty Face and A Darkness Absolute were amazing, had fun getting creeped out with The Hatching, Undeclared was enjoyable even with some issues.  Not even Luke Daniels' fabulous narration could rescue The Rising for me.  The characters were very one dimensional to me, which I can take with an action filled plot, but that was disappointing, as well.  


BOOKS RECEIVED 

Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link).


I was super stoked to receive the above books for review, I'd had my eye on them for sometime now and I've been tempted several times to drop everything and start them straight away!


Rachel:
(Click on title for Goodreads link)


I can't wait to read Skitter after loving The Hatching!  I'm still a little worried about Pipe Dreams because I don't want to be annoyed by Mike's daughter causing problems with the romance, but I've seen positive reactions.


NEW TO MY TBR

Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link).


A lot of bloggers I know have read and loved Bet Me, I don't know why it took me so long to add it to my to read pile. And The Hate U Give has been receiving all of the praise lately, and so I know I just need to check this book out already.


Rachel:
(Click on Book for Goodreads link)


I added On Second Thought after seeing that Brandie loved it.  I bought and audio copy.  I loved Abduction by Cynthia Eden and The Gathering Dusk is a prequel to the next book in the series, After the Dark

WHAT WE'RE WATCHING

Jasprit 

 

I finally made time for Scandal, I'm all the way back at Season 5, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into this show again. I've had a topsy-turvy relationship with it recently, but it used to be one of my favourite shows.


Rachel:



I watched two movies.  I'd skip The Finest Hours. It was pretty lackluster, especially in the romance department which was incredibly bland. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was much more fun, but the book was better. 


EVENTS OF THE WEEK

Jasprit:


This week was meant to be my week off from work, of course I planned to read all the books and watch all the shows, but that of course didn't happen. I felt like this week was even busier than normal! But I did get to squeeze in a visit to see my niece, have breakfast with my friend and spend the day in London with my sister. It was a hectic week, that I feel like I need another week off, but despite the weather being so cold, London was once again so pretty around this time of year. 


Rachel:
I got sick again! This is the 5th time this winter season and I was so annoyed! I went to the doctor and she said it was viral. I'm going to try some herbs to help my immune system and see if that will help.
I did go on a walk/run today even though I'm not 100% because I was going stir crazy in the house!  The weather is beautiful after having several weeks of on and off rain:


I didn't go out much, but I did make Twice Baked Potatoes:


It's a lower fat recipe using buttermilk, low-fat sourcream, center cut bacon, mushrooms, green onions, and a minimal amount of butter. Add a glass of red wine and it's a perfect meal!



How was your week?

9 comments:

Leanna Elle said...

Lots of great books here! I added The Light We Lost to my TBR yesterday. Sounds like a bit of a weepie!

Tell me about Scandal! It used to be one of my favourite shows but I feel like it really went off the boil. I've fallen behind now too. Have you seen How to Get Away With Murder? That's so much more of a must-watch for me these days.

Rachel, those baked potatoes look GOOD! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Jasprit: Sorry your week off work wasn't as relaxing, but it sounds like you still had a ton of fun! I really want to read The Hate U Give; hope you enjoy it. Ooh, I'm so jealous you have Strange the Dreamer. I MUST read that one!

Rachel: Oh no, sorry to hear you were sick again! Have you tried probiotics? I hear they help keep you healthy if you take one a day. That potato looks amazing! Yum. :) Oh gosh, I couldn't do The Hatching. I'm TERRIFIED of spiders.

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

WOw so many great books read/received and added to your TBR. I LOVED On Second Thought too and THUG was great. I hope you two enjoy those and have a lovely week!

Carina Olsen said...

Ahh, London looks so awesome :D Been years now since my last visit.. ugh. Glad you had a good time :) Seems like you both did lots of fun this week. <3 Yay :D I hope next week will be awesome for you both :) Hugs. And gaaah. Being sick is the worst :( I hope you get well fast sweetie. <3 Fingers crossed :) Also hoping I won't get another cold any time soon, haha :D Happy reading sweet girls. <3

Joy said...

Ahhh Pretty Face was so good, isn't it, Rachel?! OMG. I'm not hearing some very promising things about Undeclared, though so I might skip that one despite the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed Undecided. Isn't The Hatching icky? I swear I was jumping every time something touches my leg. LOL. Paranoid much?

Gah. I have a very tumultuous relationship with Scandal. I want go on a rampage every time Olivia and Fitz do their stupid song and dance/push and pull shit. So frustrating!

ANYWAY, have a great week ladies. And I hope you'll enjoy your reads. :D

Greg said...

I loved A Darkness Absolute, even more than the first book. And The Rising sounds kinda good also. I haven't been on Netflix as much but I've heard Scandal is good, it's one I've thought about binging. I just finished MArcella and that was a pretty good show.

Unknown said...

Jasprit, you sound like you had a lovely week :D it's great you got to see your niece.

Rachel - oh dear, i'm sorry you were sick again it sucks :( germs are everywhere these days. Everytime I go out i'm scared we all going to bring something back. I have a 2 year old so I don't want the flu to follow yuck.

Enjoy your new reads guys, they look lovely. I LOVED On Second Though, it was SO good.

Ksenia said...

Rachel, I’m so sorry to hear you are sick. Feel better soon. These Potatoes look very yummy. I’ve been meaning to listen to an audiobook narrated by Luke Daniels since you highly praised his performance.

Jasprit, sorry your week off wasn’t relaxing, but at least you were able to do a lot. I’m looking forward to your thoughts about The Whole Thing Together. It sounds like a story with strong family theme and I love such books. Strange the Dreamer and The Light We Lost have such gorgeous cover, I hope the content is as good.

Keertana said...

Jasprit, I'm loving this season of Scandal so I hope you get back into it! I need it to be back on TV after the two week hiatus!!! Also, how have you not read Bet Me? It's SO GOOD. I kind of want to re-read it now that you brought it back to my attention! You're going to LOVE it! And I'm so curious to see what you make of 738 Days. It's quiteee good until some angst at the end, but I hope you enjoy it!

Rachel, I hope you're feeling better! I really need to pick up Undeclared and I'm so curious to see what you make of the new Higgins read! I haven't read a lot of her recent work but I probably should. Also: glad to see you liked P&P and Zombies! I haven't read the book but the movie seems interesting.

Wonderful re-cap, ladies, and I hope your next week is even better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...