Wednesday 1 March 2017

Review: The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone

The Hatching ( The Hatching #1) by Ezekiel Boone
Publisher: Atria Books/Emily Bestler Books
Publication date: July 5th 2016
My rating: 4 stars 
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | TBD | Kobo

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25644437-find-her
Deep in the jungle of Peru, where so much remains unknown, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist whole. Thousands of miles away, an FBI agent investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Kanpur, India earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. During the same week, the Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. As these incidents begin to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at a Washington, D.C. laboratory. Something wants out.

The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake.
 


My Thoughts:
The Hatching was everything I love about disaster/end-of-the-world stories!  That rush of adrenaline you get when worrying over whether the human race will make it.  Asking myself: what would I do? Would I be among the few that would be lucky smart enough to survive? I’m that girl who loves the idea of beating zombies, tsunamis, earthquakes, deadly viruses, asteroids; pretty much anything in which the earth will be doomed unless a small group prevails, and figures out how to save the human race.  In this case we’re talking SPIDERS!!!! Swarming spiders! Fast, creepy, crawly, and terrifying! I shiver just thinking about them!

The Hatching is told from multiple POV’s, demonstrating just how widespread the problem is.  It begins with isolated instances, the players piecing together events as the situation becomes more dangerous, escalating into a global threat.  Most of the time with an action filled plot there is little page time devoted to character development, especially when there are a lot of POV’s, but I have to say with the little page time some of the characters were given, my favorites were fleshed out enough that I cared about them, and hope all will be well!  Professor Melanie Guyer, in Washington DC, and Agent Mike Rich in Minneapolis, Minnesota, are each experiencing life outside of these disasters, but becoming connected through them.  There is a romance hinted at with these two, and I'm crossing my fingers it turns out! The survivalists in Desperation, California, the couple at the castle on an island in Scotland, and the Marine Corps out of Twin Palms, California are all facing their own trials, and I’m invested in each and every one of their stories!

I got a copy of this story some time ago and let it languish on my shelf and I’m now kicking myself I didn’t pick up it up sooner! The Hatching hooked me from the beginning, and with each chapter had my pulse ticking higher and higher as the stakes notched up!  Will the human race prevail in the face of such a fast acting threat? And if they do, will all my beloved characters make it?

I guess I’ll find out in Skitter, which thankfully comes out very soon!




Connect with Ezekiel Boone:




7 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

Lovely review Rachel :D Yay for enjoying this one so much. <3 Ahh, it sounds so creepy :D Seems awesome. I'm curious.

Unknown said...

I wanted to read this, heard awesome things about it but honestly than I saw a spider staring at me in the bathroom while I showered and was like..not sure I need that kind of imagination XD thought I might still read this, it does sound creepy and exciting.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

You enjoyed this a bit more than I did. I liked the spiders and the creep factor, but I got frustrated with all the view points and then that cliffhanger.

Keertana said...

Wow, I'm not sure this is for me, tbh, because I scare easily BUT it sounds really good and if anyone can convince me to pick up this series, it's you. I hope the sequel is everything you hope it'll be, Rachel! Fantastic review!

Ksenia said...

I’ve seen your spider updates on GR, Rachel. This book is definitely not for me. Too creepy. Lol. It’s not an easy task to write flesh out characters when there many POV in a book. Glad to hear the author managed to do it. Great review, Rachel, but I’ll pass.

Nick said...

Christy brought my attention to this one when she reviewed but omg I don't know I can read this. Just the mention of spiders has my skin crawling. It sounds fantastic in every way though. Love that it's such a page-turner. I hope the sequel is as good as this one for you, Rachel!

Bonnie said...

I love me some horror but uggghhhhh spiders. Lol We'll see. You definitely have me intrigued.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...