Friday 22 August 2014

Review: Hammered by Kevin Hearne

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles #3) by Kevin Hearne
Narrated by: Luke Daniels
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Length: 9 Hours 40 Minutes
Audiobook Publication date: July 5th 2011
My rating: 4.5 stars 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91378.Speak_No_Evil

Thor, the Norse god of thunder, is worse than a blowhard and a bully—he’s ruined countless lives and killed scores of innocents. After centuries, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson is ready to get his vengeance, and he’s asked his friend Atticus O’Sullivan, the last of the Druids, to help take down this Norse nightmare.

One survival strategy has worked for Atticus for more than two thousand years: stay away from the guy with the lightning bolts. But things are heating up in Atticus’s home base of Tempe, Arizona. There’s a vampire turf war brewing, and Russian demon hunters who call themselves the Hammers of God are running rampant. Despite multiple warnings and portents of dire consequences, Atticus and Leif journey to the Norse plain of Asgard, where they team up with a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants for an epic showdown against vicious Valkyries, angry gods, and the hammer-wielding Thunder Thug himself.


My Thoughts:
I went into Hammered thinking it wouldn’t be as good as the first two books, but I was wrong. Just as the first two, this was filled with action, clever humor, and a engrossing plot.  While the beginning started off a little slow it wasn’t long until I was completely caught up in the story. 

Atticus is delivering on his promise to take Leif Helgarson, his vampire lawyer to the Norse plain of Asgard to find and kill the god Thor.  They band together with three other gods and Gunnar, the Alpha werewolf of the Tempe pack, all parties having a bone to pick with Thor.  I knew Leif had a grudge against Thor, but it wasn’t explained until this book and I think one of my favorite parts of Hammered was the turns each of these men took telling their story of how Thor wronged them.  Gunnar and Leif’s touched me the most, and I became more attached to these secondary characters because of it. 

As with the first two books there was a lot of action, and I enjoyed “seeing” Atticus’ sharp strategizing play out.  The final battle with Thor was exciting and brutal, and there were some very sad losses. One thing I did find surprising was the (highlight for spoiler) fate Atticus was willing to let Freya come to.  I’m choosing to believe he would’ve done something if she didn’t get away on her own. (end of spoiler)

I was hoping for a little more Granuaile, Atticus’ Druid apprentice, but what we did have of her was pleasing.  (highlight for spoiler) I keep looking for any little hint of a romance, and there was one little exchange I zeroed in on, but still nothing substantial. I’ve been assured it’s coming.(end of spoiler)

There were several things left up in the air and a mild cliffhanger that made me happy the next book is already released. 

As with the first two books, I listened to the audio version and I highly recommend it.  Luke Daniels is an amazing narrator, nailing the accents and humor!  His performance breathed life into the story that surely enhanced my experience with this series.  




13 comments:

Livvy said...

I am glad you enjoyed this one as much as the first two books, Rachel. I have been meaning to start this series for a while so I am glad it didn't disappoint and was full of action and humour.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I adore this series and I agree Luke Daniels does an amazing job with the voices. I can't get enough. I didn't write a review on this one, who knows why, but anyway, I remember this one being rather melancholy. I think the next one Tricked is fantastic as well. I have the latest on audio that I need to get to soon.

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I have seen this series around but haven't got to read it yet. I'm so happy that it was as GOOD (this cover of the book that you are currently reading is really distracting...just sayin') as the first two and that you enjoyed it after the slow star. Great review, Rachel :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

Yeah, let me assure you that it's coming. Still, I'd almost rather Gran have her own spin-off, 'cause I love her so and don't *really* think she and Atticus are good as a couple. Better friends...possibly with benefits. Just my opinion! :) LOVE THIS SERIES!

Keertana said...

I'm so excited to see that this series is really working for you, Rachel. I definitely want to begin it soon and hearing that the first three books are a hit is a huge relief. Sometimes series either start slow or lose steam after a few titles but this particular series seem safe on both accounts. Lovely review, dear--I need to hunt down audio copies of this for sure!

Unknown said...

Hearne is an author who's work I've been told to try many times! I should really give him a go when I'm feeling like a fantasy. Thanks for the review, Rachel!

Zoe N. said...

I'm Norwegian myself, so I always love hearing about books with Norse mythology in them! I am so glad that it worked for you and that the series keeps getting better and better as it goes on. Thanks for sharing and putting this under my radar! BRILLIANT review, as always, Rachel! <3

~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

Renae @ Respiring Thoughts said...

This is my absolute favorite of the series, and I'm so glad you liked it, Rachel! :)

Sarahbotbonkers said...

I really should start soon with this series. I love mythology and I've been looking forward to reading more about the Norse one and this one seems full of action just the way I like it. Fantastic review, Rachel. (:

Jenny said...

I don't listen to many audiobooks just because they take so much longer to get through than just sitting down and reading does (I'm not patient enough for audiobooks), but I want to listen to this one just for the accents. YES TO ACCENTS RACHEL! I have the first book in this series but haven't read it yet, epic fail. Must meet Atticus and Oberon!

bookbunny68 said...

I love this series. Hearne is a funny guy. Love his FB posts.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

That's great you really liked this one, and the series as a whole. I've been wanting to read these for awhile!

Wendy Darling said...

4.5 stars for the third book?! Man. Every time I see a positive review for this series (which is pretty much every time I see a review for this series), I want to give myself a good kick in the seat of my pants. Maybe when things slow down this winter I can do some digging in my non-review pile. But anyway, I'm so glad you're continuing to love this series! It gives me something to look forward to.

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...