Wednesday 30 April 2014

Review: Speak No Evil by Allison Brennan

Speak No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #1)
Speak No Evil (Evil #1) by Allison Brennan
Narrated by: Tim Lundeen
Publisher: Audible Inc.
Length: 10 Hours 56 Minutes
Audiobook Publication date: February 17th 2012
My rating: 4.5 stars 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91378.Speak_No_Evil


Silence is deadly.
The murder of eighteen-year-old Angie Vance was exceptionally vile:her mouth was sealed with glue, an obscenity scrawled across her skin, and she was suffocated in a garbage bag. The killing seems personal, so police detective Carina Kincaid focuses her efforts on the victims much older ex-boyfriend, Steve Thomas. But without physical evidence, Carina can't make a collar or a case. She also can't stop Sheriff Nick Thomas, the prime suspect's brother, from conducting his own unwelcome investigation.

Though Nick is still scarred and unsteady from a recent confrontation with a serial killer, he's determined to prove his brother's innocence. But his confidence is shaken when he learns of Steve's dark side, and when a friend of the murdered girl meets a similarly gruesome fate. With no time to lose, Carina and Nick work together to trap a psychopath, before another unlucky woman faces an unspeakable end.

Evil has spoken. Now see what it can do.



My Thoughts:
Speak No Evil was like one of the gritty, disturbing mysteries you find on Criminal Minds the TV series with a sizzling romance thrown in. It was addictive and I couldn’t stop listening, so I blew through this in no time, not able to wait for my commute times to continue.

Carina Kincaid is a homicide detective and has just caught a violent, disturbing murder case: a girl was found gagged and suffocated, wrapped in garbage bags with the name SLUT written on her chest.  This murder has all the marks of a burgeoning serial killer and so Carina can’t help but feel the pressure to catch this guy ASAP before he strikes again. When Steve Thomas becomes the prime suspect, his brother Sheriff Nick Thomas steps into to aid his brother with his defense.  While Nick doesn’t want to think his brother had anything to do with the murder, it won’t stop him from uncovering the truth even if Steve is guilty. 

Nick is recovering emotionally and physically after wrapping up an investigation of a particularly nasty serial killer. The guy was caught but not before leaving a trail of victims.  Realizing the asset Nick can be to the investigation after learning his history, Carina pulls him in for help because it’s a race against the clock when victims start piling in.

The murders in this mystery were horrible and graphic, so fair warning for any who decides to pick this story up. Very disturbing especially because we get the killer’s POV in some of the chapters. *shivers* I think some of what makes this so very scary is the fact that these types of crimes actually happen in real life.  It reminds me to carry my pepper spray in my hand while walking to and from the parking garage at work!

Both Nick and Carina have painful baggage in their pasts that factor heavily into their jobs, making them better investigators, IMO, because to them the cases are personal.  Through the investigation Nick and Carina’s respect for one another grows along with a simmering attraction. Their romance was built on a deep connection between kindred spirits.  I did appreciate that neither Carina nor Nick tried to “solve” each other’s hurt rather they provided comfort and a listening ear.

I loved Carina’s big family, most of which were law enforcement professionals, and were very supportive of both Nick and Carina.  She had plenty of help and input from her brothers, who were key players in the investigation.  I hope to see more of them in the continuing series.

I was on the edge of my seat by the end of this read as the danger and stakes ramped up when it becomes apparent who the killer is. Sure to give you chills and thrills up to the end! I was happily surprised at finding this series and I definitely plan on reading the next two books.  The next book, See No Evil, centers on Connor Kincaid, Carina’s brother.

As for the audio, I enjoyed Tim Lundeen’s voice for the male characters, but I wasn’t thrilled with the female characterization. The story was thrilling enough to overlook that. 






14 comments:

Brandie said...

This sounds SO good! I have been looking for more suspense novels lately - this sounds perfect. Great review!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great book, Rachel. I love reading murder mysteries and this one especially sounds like it's well-written. Also, it seems like there is a great romance too. You got me really intrigued by this book!
Great review, Rachel!

Jenny said...

"The murders in this mystery were horrible and graphic, so fair warning for any who decides to pick this story up. Very disturbing especially because we get the killer’s POV in some of the chapters."

Okay. So clearly I'm going to have to read this one with all the lights in the house blaring and bright. Good to know Rachel! Aside from the fact it will likely scare the pants off me, this story sounds amazing. I love a good thriller/murder mystery so this is going on my list for sure. My sister in law loves them as well, so I'll be recommending it to her too!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

YES! I'm all about murder mysteries and detective stories. It's my thing, Rachel! I can't believe I haven't heard of this one before, but this sounds like exactly something I would love. I'll have to read it with my husband at home though!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Hmm I like the sound of this but grisly murder details tend to bother me, I am not sure if I would get past that.

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I saw this one at your recent Showcase post and it really grabbed my attention. Now when you say that it actually has the killer's POV here I need to get to it. I have never read anything like that and I should be good. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Great review, Rachel :)

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

This sounds like a great-read! I am usually hesitant about graphic murder scenes but I think I'll love reading about the brotherly support. Thanks for sharing.

Keertana said...

I don't know how you listen to crime mysteries, Rachel -- I'd be so nervous! Anyhow, I definitely have to get my hands on these soon. Lovely review and thanks for putting this on my radar, Rachel!

The Bookish Manicurist said...

I love how thrilling this sounds, and I'm glad you loved it! But, I had to give up on most adult crime novels because they fuh-reak me out way too much!

Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

That is a bit disturbing that there's a POV from the killer! *shudder* And graphic violence -- I'm a bit better at watching it than reading it (weird, I know). Still, it sounds really good!

brandileigh2003 said...

A gritty and disturbing mystery sounds like something I need in my life although it might scare me

Faye M. said...

Before getting into YA, I was into this kind of books by James Patterson. Now I've realized there are other authors to consume for this kinda book, and I really wanna read it now! It sounds gritty and disturbing and uncomfortable and and... oh! Did you mention Criminal Minds? I AM SOLD, GIRL :D

Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

Unknown said...

oh my, this sounds like a wonderful and creepy mystery! Have not found such a thrilling book in a while. Glad you enjoyed it.

Hyacinth Marius said...

I had read all of the Lucy Kincaid stories and loved them but had not read these "back stories." Wow, I didn't know what I was missing! Love this story about Lucy's sister Carina. Great mystery.

Hyacinth
Have you viewed Top Austin Tow Truck

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...