Friday 13 December 2013

Cover Fever: #4


Hi everyone, Rachel and I have another Cover Fever post to share with you today. Since I finished Night of Cake & Puppets the other day, I've had Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone on my mind ever since. This is a series which I hold pretty close to my heart, as it left such a great impression with me. Having a look over the covers there have been a mixed range, but I decided to go with my four favourites (I know I'm going to have a hard time just choosing one!).


     US Cover                             UK Hardcover


                   
  UK Paperback                    Exclusive Editon 
                                           Paperback



Rachel:
I never really cared for the US cover. That mask sort of creeped me out.  I'm not really fond of the UK hardcover either.  I do like the UK paperback, that red door and the font of the title is appealing.  I LOVE the exclusive edition paperback! It looks like one of the bridges in Prague with the old city behind which is where the story is set. Gorgeous and perfect for the story!

Rachel's Final Verdict: Exclusive edition paperback.

Jasprit: I love the blue mask wearing Karou that we're given with the US cover, it has a brilliant way of making the cover stand out amongst the others, Karou's eyes here also look really eerie, it definitely makes me want to spend a long time staring at and maybe even petting this pretty cover. The UK publisher's haven't done too badly this time around, (the Exclusive edition was published by Hodder & Stoughton UK for Tescos!). I originally really loved the UK hardcover, I remember getting a copy for my cousin for Christmas, but having a real hard time handing it over, as the cover was so gorgeous to hold. Although in my eyes it doesn't do as a great job of representing what the book is about, I certainly wouldn't mind having it on my bookshelf. I love the UK paperback cover, the precious door that they've included on the cover I think is brilliant! Having read this book so long ago, but just having this door here, brings all the wonderful memories flooding back, also the hand print. The door also seems kind of inviting and I'm finding myself really curious about where it could lead. The exclusive edition is also stunning, I'm loving how they have the gorgeous bridge from Prague on the cover, it makes this beautiful world that Taylor has created that much more easier to imagine. And I love the mist and "swooshy colour effect" they've mixed in at the top of the cover too.

Jasprit's Final Verdict: I honestly can't decide! I would have to probably go with the US cover, because it's just such a striking cover, followed closely by the UK paperback and exclusive edition.


Which book cover would you like to have on your shelves?

20 comments:

Keertana said...

I think all the cover editions for the books in this series are stunning, though I rather love the US cover with the masks. Days of Blood and Starlight is even prettier, in my opinion, and Dreams of Gods and Monsters is gorgeous as well. Great post, ladies!(:

tthepageturner said...

I like the exclusion edition paperback of DoSaB. It's got a eerie/dream like feel to it, and I love the colours. The one I least like would have to be the US paperback. I've never really been a fan of covers with people on them.

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I'm really not the biggest fan of any of the versions of this cover, actually! I think the UK editions are generally nicer, but they err closer to adult in my opinion. The only positive I see in the US version is that it's SO different that it definitely stands out :)

Becca said...

I always loved the US cover with the mask but after seeing the exclusive paperback edition I may like it more! I went to Prague a few years ago and it truly is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. And the people were wonderful. The bridge picture brings back so many great memories!

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

You know, I really like all of them (though I can see the creep-factor with the mask!) I love the font work and smoke with the exclusive paperback edition and elements from the others as well. She hit the cover jackpot, I"m thinking.

Unknown said...

I've always loved the US edition, but row, the exclusive edition is absolutely gorgeous.
Great job, ladies!

Unknown said...

I've never been a fan of the US cover either, BUT I think it's more striking than the others and grabs more attention. The others I could easily pass by, but I do love the exclusive edition. Very haunting.

Siiri said...

I agree, the US one is gorgeous. I love that one and hold it dear to me still. Plus, I have that one so I'm a bit biased, heh ;) I, honestly, love all of these though. They all tell a story and I just.. this is a showcase of a gorgeous, good cover-fever, girls! :)

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

Definitely the Exclusive Edition! I haven't read the books yet though so maybe the others fit well too? And though I don't love the US hardcover, it does get your attention. I need to read these books!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

If I was browsing these on a shelf, I think I'd like the exclusive edition cover the most. it's just very striking, yet simple. I like covers like that.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I thought I was partial to the U.S. cover but after seeing that special edition one, I am sold. I think that one captures the book much better. I don't know why they put a blue mask on Karou, she didn't wear one in the book for any reason. It was fun seeing them all together.

Unknown said...

I kind of like the US cover but the UK edition takes if for me.
Very nice.

Just finished this book and am now reading L. Taylor's Lips Touch.

Ron B

Unknown said...

All of these covers are gorgeous I think. The UK cover with the feathers and the font style is lovely but I most love the Exclusive Edition Paperback too. That smoke. ooooh.

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

I have to admit, the US cover gives me creeps and it's one of the reasons why I've been putting off picking the book up (even though I've heard a lot of great things about the series). The UK covers look really beautiful and if I have to pick, I like the paperback cover the most. :)

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

I've never seen the exclusion edition, but wow, that is pretty :D!

Leanna Elle said...

I have the UK hardback, which is very pretty, but the exclusive edition paperback has to be my favourite. Love it!

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Oh Laini Taylor's books have been on my mind all day. I finished Night of Cake & Puppets this morning and LOVED it. I like all of the covers here, so it's hard to decide! The lettering on the US design has always appealed to me, but I love the UK paperback images. Especially the door and the handprint and the quote 'do you belong here or Elsewhere?'. That one is especially brilliant. :)

Miss Page-Turner said...

The exclusive cover editions are my definite favourites!! This series really deserves dreamy and dark, mysterious covers!

Carina Olsen said...

Ohh. I'm not sure which cover I like the most. Maybe the UK hardcover :) Though I own the US hardcover, and I do like that one. <3 thank you for sharing :D

Maji Bookshelf said...

This is really nice, i kinda like both of them, especially the U.S cover, with the girl's picture in it, kinda of describes in a way the main character. The mask is mysterious and i love it. i also like the colors on the door of the Uk cover, and they are both brilliant. Thanx again for sharing , much love.

Farah @ MajiBookshelf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...