Tuesday 10 April 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (#2)


Is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week they post a new top ten list and ask fellow bloggers to share their lists on that topic.

Today’s top ten Tuesday topic is Top Ten books that were totally deceiving. This could be in terms of covers which didn’t fit books, covers which were different to their summary or books you expected to be fluff by which were actually serious.




1.       Past Perfect by Leila Sales
2.       Delirium by Lauren Oliver
3.       Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Covers I just didn’t get; I honestly have no idea why these specific covers were chosen for these books. To me they don’t fit the story at all. But despite the weird covers I unexpectedly did enjoy these books.



4.       Kiss Crush Collide by Christina Meredith
5.       Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles

Covers with public display of affections but misleading; I went in to these books enticed by the covers, but these scenes were completely missing.



6.       Fury by Shirley Marr
7.       Paradise by Jill S. Alexander

Don’t judge a book by its cover; I went in to paradise expecting it to be a fluffy light-hearted read. But I couldn’t have been more wrong some of its serious undertones completely blew me away. The same with Shirley Marr’s book. I didn’t know what I’d be getting myself into just by looking at the cover, but it was such a dark book with an intricately woven plot.



8.       Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
9.       Where it began by Ann Redisch Stampler
10.   Guitar Highway Rose by Brigid Lowry

Beautiful covers but disappointing story; these three covers are absolutely stunning, especially Halo, it’s a pity not much could be said about the story.
So which books made it to your Top Ten books that were totally deceiving?

11 comments:

nora-kate said...

cover fraud is so hard to get over. *sigh* still sad about Kiss Crush Collide that cover really had me excited. By the way I love list 'top whatever' posts. they are my favorite. good choices jasprit :)

Angela said...

Fantastic list! Halo has made it onto a few top tens.

http://ajarndtbooks.blogspot.com/

Pocketful of Books said...

You're right- Delirium especially has such a weird cover! I don't get why that was chosen!

My TTT: http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-were-totally.html

T said...

I definitely agree with the cover for Delirium - I was actually really put off by the cover, but as you've said it doesn't seem to fit the book at all!

Great list!
Tara @ Hey, Tara

Vegan YA Nerds said...

Oh noooo, I have just bought a copy of Guitar Highway Rose, I hope it's ok!

I agree with so many of these, sometimes I wonder if the person designing the cover has any idea of the book's plot!

Jasprit said...

Thanks Kate, covers are always what lures me to a book too :( I actually love making lists, so this is like the perfect meme for me! :)

Jasprit said...

Heheh so true! especially when they're totally irrelevant to the story, I know a lot of people who loved Guitar Highway Rose, so fingers crossed you'll fall into that group too! :)

Mimi Valentine said...

Ohhh, I LOVE this week's top ten question! I can't even count the number of times a cover has mislead me, or how many times I've been let down by a beautiful cover x) LOL but I remember especially not wanting to read Simone Elkeles's books because of the covers, but they actually didn't end up being that intense in terms of affection which made me really relieved!

Awesome top ten, Jasprit! It was perfect how you broke it down into sections -- because there are different types of cover deceptions! :)

Unknown said...

I sort of get Speak but Delirium's cover is way off the mark. :)

Totally agree with you on Paradise! Wow. That was a freaking high speed train out of nowhere.

Gah. Halo. I've learned my lesson since then. Actually I didn't. Because for some reason, I have HADES somewhere in my shelves. *smh*

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

I don't like Speak's cover at all and the Delirium cover is just awful. It's the copy I have, unfortunately. :( It's a good thing the contents were great. ;)

There are A LOT of beautiful covers with disappointing stories that I have come across. It doesn't help that I am so quick to fall for gorgeous artwork.

Rachel said...

I hate cover fraud. Kiss, Crush, Collide was one I was eagerly awaiting after seeing the cover, then I heard the awful reviews :(

I have the new Delirium cover which is really pretty. Let's hope when I read all three next year it will live up to the beauty. I'm so not going anywhere near it until all books are out.

Am I right that Paradise had a completely horrible ending? I seem to recall something about that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...